Research Assistant - Volcanology
1-868-662-4659 409 ext
Bsc. Physics and Environmental Physics, The University of the West Indies, St. Augustine (2009)
(PhD). Volcanology, The University of the West Indies, St. Augustine (ongoing)
- Public education
- Science/risk communication
Tobago born and bred, Omari traces his interest in the earth sciences to a series of damaging earthquakes that affected the island in 1997. After graduating from The UWI, St. Augustine with a BSc. in Physics and Environmental Physics he joined the UWI Seismic Research Centre in 2009. His first assignment was to the Trinidad and Tobago strong-motion project and later worked on seismic microzonation projects for Jamaica and Grenada. In 2013 Omari began working in the centre’s Education & Outreach (E&O) section.
As part of the E&O team Omari develops content for student workshops, manages the centre’s student internships and is also heavily involved the Seismology in Schools (SIS) Project. The SIS project maintains a network of eight seismometers in secondary schools across Trinidad and Tobago. His public education work has also led him to become involved in film production at the UWI-SRC. Omari enjoys generating interest in science among young people and making current science relevant to their daily lives. He continues to do this during UWI-SRC outreach campaigns throughout the territories monitored by the centre. Omari is currently completing a PhD in Volcanology. His research interests include: volcanic crisis communications, crisis management and volcano observatory practice.
- Graham, Omari, Stacey Edwards, and Richard Robertson. 2022. “Managing Stakeholder Relationships for Improved Situation Awareness During Volcanic Emergencies: An Eastern Caribbean Case Study.” International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction 67:102656. doi: Read paper.
- Graham O, Robertson R, Edwards S. (2017) Communicating science during Eastern Caribbean volcanic emergencies. The 10th Caribbean Conference on Comprehensive Disaster Management, Nassau, Bahamas, 4 – 9th December 2017. Oral.
- Graham O, Robertson R, Edwards S, Ash C, Juman A. (2016) Engaging youth in raising hazard awareness in the Eastern Caribbean. Cities on Volcanoes 9, Puerto Veras-Chile, 20 – 25th November 2016. Oral.
- Graham O, Edwards S, Robertson R, Ash C, Juman A. (2015) The UWI Seismic Research Centre Education & Outreach Section: A brief history. Human Communication Studies Conference, The University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, Trinidad 24-25th September 2015. Oral.
- Graham O, Edwards S, Robertson R, Ash C, Juman A. (2015) Education & Outreach at The UWI Seismic Research Centre: A multi-faceted approach to risk reduction using public education in the Eastern Caribbean. 20th Caribbean Geological Conference, Port of Spain, Trinidad 17 – 22nd May 2015. Oral.