Project Specialist - Education and Outreach
1-868-662-4659 408 ext
The University of Sheffield (United Kingdom): B.Sc., Geography (Upper Seconds) (2010)
Started at the Centre as part of the World Bank funded Disaster Risk Reduction Project in 2011. Shifted to the Education and Outreach section in 2014. Currently responsible for:
- planning and executing educational visits to the Centre,
- planning and executing education and outreach campaigns in the islands monitored,
- designing and presenting sessions on the geological hazards monitored at the Centre,
- researching and trialing innovative techniques for presentations and campaigns,
- managing and creating content for the Centre’s social media pages and
- documentation of all activities undertaken by the Education & Outreach section for university reports and official documents.
Topic: ‘Use and impact of social media in disseminating alert level changes and information for the Kick ‘Em Jenny Submarine Volcano.’ International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth’s Interior (IAVCEI) Cities On Volcanoes, Naples, Italy, 2018.
Topic: ‘Reaching out to young students – experience of primary school outreach in St. Vincent & the Grenadines.’ International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth’s Interior (IAVCEI) Cities On Volcanoes, Naples, Italy, 2018.
Topic: ‘Caribbean Risk Atlas: Seismic Risk Component, Preliminary Seismic Hazard and Risk of the Kingston Metropolitan Area.’ The Geographic Information Systems Society of Trinidad & Tobago (GISSTT) Biennial One Day Symposium. November, 2013.
Topic: ‘Risk components in GEM Earthquake Loss Estimation Software OpenQuake’. Monthly Seminar, Association of Professional Engineers of Trinidad and Tobago (APETT). May 2012.
Topic: ‘Preliminary hazard and risk analysis using GEM OpenQuake and application of NEXUS.’ Global Earthquake Model (GEM) Session at the 6th Caribbean Conference on Comprehensive Disaster Management 2011.
- O. Graham, T. Thomas, A. Hicks, S. Edwards, A. Juman, A. Ramroop, R. Robertson. Facts, Faith and Facebook: Science communication during the 2020–2021 La Soufrière, St. Vincent volcanic eruption. Geological Society, London, Special Publications (2023), 539 (1).
- E. P. Joseph, M. Camejo-Harry, T. Christopher, R. Contreras-Arratia, S. Edwards, O. Graham, M. Johnson, A. Juman, J. L. Latchman, L. Lynch, V. L. Miller, I. Papadopoulos, K. Pascal, R. Robertson, G. A. Ryan, A. Stinton, R. Grandin, I. Hamling, M-J. Jo, J. Barclay, P. Cole, B. V. Davies & R. S. J. Sparks (2022): Responding to eruptive transitions during the 2020-2021 eruption of La Soufrière volcano, St. Vincent. Nature Communications 13 (4129 (2022)), 10.1038/s41467-022-31901-4
- Lara Mani, Stacey Edwards, Alia Juman, Thalia Thomas and Erouscilla Joseph. Lessons from the 2020-2021 eruption of La Soufriere St. Vincent on ‘what works’ for volcanic crisis communications. Cities on Volcanoes 11, Heraklion, Crete, Greece, 12-17 2022. Oral Presentation.
- Lara Mani, Stacey Edwards, Alia Juman, Thalia Thomas and Erouscilla Joseph. Evaluating the crisis communications campaign during the 2020-2021 eruption of La Soufriere, St Vincent. The EGU General Assembly 23-27 May 2022, Vienna, Austria. Geophysical Research Abstracts, Session EOS1.7. Oral Presentation.