Rodrigo Contreras Arratia
Research Fellow - Seismology
1-868-662-4659 306 ext
- BSc, Physical Sciences, Universidad de Concepcion, Concepcion, Chile
- MSc, Geophysics, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
- Diploma: Tsunami Hazards and Vulnerability in Pacific Coast of South America, PUCV, funded by UNESCO
- PhD in Earth and Environment, University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom
- Volcano seismology
- Seismic sources and volcanic tremor
- Volcano monitoring and instrumentation
As the seismologist at SRC, I am in charge of analysing and interpret the seismic signals produced by earthquakes in the eastern Caribbean. That includes tectonic events produced by the subduction zone and also volcano-related signals.
My research focuses on a variety of seismological features in volcanic environments. I am especially interested in seismic sources in volcanic environments, but also their relationship to geological and geophysical observations. I enjoy testing methodologies on extreme synthetic cases to check resolutions and viability.
I have a strong background in physics and mathematics, with deep knowledge in geophysics and seismology. I code using different languages, mostly Python. I have expertise using specialised seismological software on moment tensor inversions, numerical wave propagation, localisation of earthquakes and map creation.
Spanish is my mother tongue, I am proficient in English, and basic knowledge of the Russian language. Football lover and electric guitar enthusiast.
- Physical models which explain seismic activity in volcanic settings, rupture processes, radiation and moment tensor inversions.
- Volcano monitoring, seismic data analysis.
- Forward seismic modelling and moment tensor inversions.
- Solid-Fluid interactions in volcanic environments.
- Viscoelastic and plastic wave propagation.
- Links between seismology and deformation
- Contreras-Arratia, R. and Neuberg, J.W. 2020. Towards reconciling seismic and geodetic moment estimations: Case Bárðarbunga. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2020.107034
- Contreras-Arratia, R. and Neuberg, J.W., 2019. Complex seismic sources in volcanic environments: Radiation modelling and moment tensor inversions. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2019.06.005