Professor of Geology
1-868-662-4659 300 ext
B.Sc. UWI (1987)
M.Phil Leeds (1992)
Ph.D. UWI (2003)
- Volcano Monitoring
- Volcanic Hazard & Risk Assessment
- Volcano Risk Management
- Crisis Communications
- Risk Perception
- Volcano Geodesy
- Magma genesis
Originally from St. Vincent, Prof. Richard Robertson joined the staff at the Seismic Research Centre in 1993 after serving for six years as Head of the local volcano-monitoring unit in St. Vincent (the Soufriere Monitoring Unit). Since joining the Seismic Research Centre he has been involved in a variety of projects including: the ongoing eruption of the Soufrière Hills Volcano on Montserrat; the establishment of volcano monitoring networks (mainly geodetic) and ongoing public education and outreach programs throughout the Eastern Caribbean. He served several tours of duty as Chief Scientist of the Montserrat Volcano Observatory during the period 1995-1999 and was its Director from October 1998 – March 1999. Dr Robertson served as Head of the Seismic Research Unit during the period 2004-2008 and as Director of the Seismic Research Centre from 2008-2011. For the period September 2011 to July 2013 Dr. Robertson served as a Geologist/Volcanologist at the SRC while on sabbatical, after which he resumed duties as its Director.
In St. Augustine, Dr Robertson has assisted with the field supervision and lecturing of geoscience students. He was one of the editors of the Volcanic Hazards Atlas for the Lesser Antilles. Since 2008 he has been the main coordinator of the SRC and IPGP operations at the Montserrat Volcano Observatory.
Clevon Ash 2013 – Earthquake Hazard Perception: An examination of spatial, temporal, social and anthropological factors that affect seismic hazard perception in Trinidad and Tobago (MPhil)
Allanson Cruickshank 2013 – Land Use Planning and Volcanic Hazards in St. Vincent (MPhil)
Cassandra La Barrie 2011 – The application of ICT technology to test and analyze the role of ICT to strengthen community knowledge and support in the collection of post-event information for earthquakes in the Eastern Caribbean (MPhil)
Magali Fournier 2011 – Investigation of groundwater storage in St. Vincent’s Soufriere crater (West Indies) (MPhil)
Jessica Roberts 2006 – An Investigation into the Flow of Risk Communication within the Small Island States of the Eastern Caribbean – Case Study: Dominica (MSc)
Catherine Lowe 2006 – A GIS-based method for risk and vulnerability assessment of volcanic islands (PhD)
Sian Crosweller 2004 – Tools for Trust: Assessing the most effective methods for hazard communication (PhD)
- Braun, John, F., Mattiolli, Glen, S., Calais, Eric, Carlson, David, Dixon, Timothy, H., Kursinski, Robert, E., Mora-Paez, Hector, Miller, M. M., Pandya Rajul, Robertson, Richard & Wang, Guoquan (2012): Focused study of interweaving hazards across the Caribbean, Eos Trans. AGU, 93(9), 89, doi:10.1029/2012EO090001.
- Bozzoni, F., Corigliano, M., Lai, C., Salazar, W., Scandella, L., Zuccolo, E., Latchman, J., Lynch, L., Robertson, R. (2011). Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Assessment for the Eastern Caribbean Islands. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 101, No. 5, pp. 2499, doi: 10.1785/0120100208.
- Fournier, Nicolas, Moreau, Magali & Robertson, Richard (2011): Disappearance of a crater lake: implications for potential explosivity at Soufriere volcano, St. Vincent, Lesser Antilles. Bulletin of Volcanology, Vol. 73, No. 5, pp. 543-555, doi: 10.1007/s00445-010-0422-3.
- Axel K. Schmitt, Daniel F. Stockli, Jan M. Lindsay, Richard Robertson, Oscar M. Lovera and Roman Kislitsyn (2010): Episodic growth and homogenization of plutonic roots in arc volcanoes from combined U–Th and (U–Th)/He zircon dating. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, Vol 295, Issues 1-2, pp. 91-103, doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2010.03.028.
- Robertson Richard E.A. (2009): Antilles, Geology. In. Gillespie R.G. & Clague, D.A. (eds) 2009: Encyclopedia of Islands. University of California Press, pp. 29-35.
- Le Friant, Anne, Boudon, Georges, Arnulf, Adrien and Robertson Richard: Debris avalanche deposits offshore St Vincent (West Indies): impact of flank-collapse events on the morphological evolution of the island. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, Vol. 179, Issues. 1-2, doi:10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2008.09.022.
- Richard ROBERTSON, Lloyd Lynch, Chandradath Ramsingh and Machel Higgins (2012): The Role of a Regional Research and Educational Network in Earth Science in the Eastern Caribbean. Open Science Data Cloud NSF PIRE Workshop, University of Edinburgh, 16-19 July 2012. Oral.
- Richard Robertson, Machel Higgins, Erouscilla Joseph, Lloyd Lynch, Joan Latchman, Chandradath Ramsingh, Walter Salazar, Roderick Stewart, Robert Watts (2012): Monitoring Earthquakes and Volcanoes in the Eastern Caribbean Subduction Zone: Strategy, Challenges and Potential for Research. Workshop on Caribbean volcanism and crustal structure, University of Bristol, 9-10th July 2012. Oral.
- Richard R. E.A., Lynch, L. L., Latchman, J.L., Stewart, R., Salazar, W., Joseph, E.P., Edwards, S. (2011): A Sustainable Port of Spain in the Context of Seismicity in Trinidad and Tobago. Symposium in Commemoration of the 97th Annivrsary of the Restoration of Civic Rights to the City of Port of Spain, June 2011, 13p. Oral.
- Jan Lindsay, Axel Schmitt, Robert Trumbull, Daniel F. Stockli, Richie Robertson, Tracy Howe, Phil Shane (2011): Evolution, time scales and hazards at large silicic systems in island arcs: insights from the Soufriere Volcanic Complex, Saint Lucia. IUGG 2011, Australia. Oral.
- Richard Robertson, Walter Salazar, Machel Higgins, Cassandra Le Barrie, Lloyd Lynch, Joan Latchman, Omari Graham, Monique Johnson, Lyndon Brown (2010): Development of a Caribbean Risk Atlas for Earthquake Hazards. 5th Caribbean Conference on Comprehensive Disaster Management, 6-10 December, 2010, Montego Bay, Jamaica. Oral.
- Walter Salazar, Joan Latchman, Lloyd Lynch, Richard Robertson, Francesca Bozzoni, Mirko Corigliano, Carlo G. Lai, Laura Scandella, Elisa Zuccolo (2010): Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Assessment of the Eastern Caribbean Islands. 5th Caribbean Conference on Comprehensive Disaster Management, 6-10 December, 2010, Montego Bay, Jamaica. Poster.
- Richard Robertson, Lloyd Lynch, Joan Latchman, Walter Salazar, Stacey Edwards, Clevon Ash, Omari Graham, Cassandra Le Barrie, Monique Johnson (2010): Earthquake Safety in Trinidad and Tobago – A call for action! 5th Caribbean Conference on Comprehensive Disaster Management, 6-10 December, 2010, Montego Bay, Jamaica. Oral.
- Richard Robertson (2010): Eastern Caribbean Seismograph Networks. Geophysical Hazards and Plate Boundary Processes in Central America, Mexico and the Caribbean: A Workshop to Build Seismological Collaboration and Capacity, 24-28 October, 2010, Heredia, Costa Rica. Oral.
- Bozzoni, F., M. Corigliano, C. Lai, L. Scandella, W. Salazar, J. Latchman, L. Lynch & R. Robertson (2010) Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Assessment Study for the Eastern Caribbean Region. Paper 920, 14th Conference of European Earthquake Engineering (14 ECEE), Macedonia. Oral.
- Cole PD, Stewart R, Odbert H, Stinton AJ, Christopher T, Eligon C, Bass V, Syers R, Bernstein M, Stone J, Williams C, Robertson R. Watts R. (2010): Combining traditional observational techniques and new technology in the monitoring of renewed activity at Soufriere Hills volcano Montserrat. Cities on Volcanoes 6th, Tenerife, Spain, May 2010. Oral.
- Cole Paul, Odbert Henry Stinton Adam, Christopher Thomas, Stewart, Roderick, Stone Jonathan, Eligon Christian, Bass Venus, Syers Rachel, Robertson R. (2010): Renewed Volcanic Activity At Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat 2009-2010. Cities on Volcanoes 6th, Tenerife, Spain, May 2010. Oral.
- Stone Jonathan, Edwards Stacey, Levieux Guillaume, Robertson Richard, Cole Paul, MVO Staff (2010). Web Based Communication At The Montserrat Volcano Observatory. Cities on Volcanoes 6th, Tenerife, Spain, May 2010. Oral.
- Watts Robert, Robertson Richie, Abraham Wayne, Cole Paul, Corriette Don, de Roche Thesser, Edwards Stacey, Higgins Machel, Isaacs Nathaniel, Johnson Monique, Joseph Bernard, Joseph Erouscilla, Latchman Joan, Lynch Lloyd, Nath Nisha, Ramsingh Chandradath, Stewart Rod (2010). Elevated Seismic Activity Beneath The Slumbering Morne Aux Diables Volcano, Northern Dominica. Cities on Volcanoes 6th, Tenerife, Spain, May 2010. Poster.