Director (UWI Seismic Research Centre)
1-868-662-4659 307 ext
UWI, St. Augustine:
B.Sc. Chemistry & Zoology (Uppr. 2nd Class) (1999)
M.Phil Chemistry (2003)
PhD Volcanology, (2008)
Dr. Joseph is a Caribbean volcanologist involved in the study of emissions (gas and waters) associated with active volcanic systems. She has been associated with the Seismic Research Centre (SRC) for the past 17 years, first as a graduate student and then as a member of staff. Dr. Joseph also provides scientific and administrative support in monitoring efforts at the Montserrat Volcano Observatory (MVO) including Duty Scientist, Ground Deformation Monitoring, Dome Volume Monitoring, and Gas Monitoring. At the SRC she is responsible for the geothermal monitoring program, which involves the collection and analysis of volcanic gases and geothermal waters in the islands of the Lesser Antilles, and its application to monitoring changes in volcanic activity. Her other research interests include study of the hazards and impact of persistently degassing volcanoes and the use of low-cost technology for the monitoring of volcanic emissions; and the behavior of the magmatic component in volcanic gases.
- E. P. Joseph, M. Camejo-Harry, T. Christopher, R. Contreras-Arratia, S. Edwards, O. Graham, M. Johnson, A. Juman, J. L. Latchman, L. Lynch, V. L. Miller, I. Papadopoulos, K. Pascal, R. Robertson, G. A. Ryan, A. Stinton, R. Grandin, I. Hamling, M-J. Jo, J. Barclay, P. Cole, B. V. Davies & R. S. J. Sparks (2022): Responding to eruptive transitions during the 2020-2021 eruption of La Soufrière volcano, St. Vincent. Nature Communications 13 (4129 (2022)), 10.1038/s41467-022-31901-4
- N. Morales-Simfors, J. Bundschuh, I. Herath, C. Inguaggiato, A T. Caselli, J. Tapia, F. E. A. Choquehuayta, M. Armenia, M. Ormachea, E. Joseph and D.L. Lopez., Arsenic in Latin America: A critical overview on the geochemistry of arsenic originating from geothermal features and volcanic emissions for solving its environmental consequences, Science of the Total Environment (2020), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.135564.
- S. Rott, B. Scheu, C. Montanaro, Klaus Mayer, E.P. Joseph and D. B. Dingwell. 2019. Hydrothermal eruptions at unstable crater lakes: insights from the Boiling Lake, Dominica, Lesser Antilles. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research., https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2019.05.020. Impact Factor: 2.37; Citation.
- E.P. Joseph, H.M. Frey, M.R. Manon, M. C. Onyeali, K. DeFranco, T. Metzger and C. Aragosa. 2019. Update on the fluid geochemistry monitoring time series for geothermal systems in Dominica, Lesser Antilles island arc: 2009–2017. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2019.03.010. Impact Factor: 2.37; 1 Citation.
- Frederic J.-Y. Dondin , Lloyd Lynch, Chan Ramsingh, Graham A. Ryan, Ilias Papadopoulos, Daniel Rueppel, Erouscilla P. Joseph, Joan L. Latchman, Richard E. A. Robertson, Nisha Nath, Ranissa Mathura, Amit Balchan, Stephen George, Ian Juman, Farrah Madoo, Garth Mannette, Hannah Ramsingh. The Volcano Monitoring network of the UWI-Seismic Research Centre: Evolution since 1953 and the challenges to maintain a high-standard network in a moderate size economy environment. Geosciences 2019, 9, 71. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/geosciences9020071. Impact Factor: 1.82
- Joseph, E.P, Viveka B. Jackson, Denise M. Beckles, Leonette Cox and Stacey Edwards. A Citizen Science Approach for Monitoring Volcanic Emissions and Promoting Volcanic Hazard Awareness at Sulphur Springs, Saint Lucia. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 369 (2019), pp. 50 – 63; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2018.11.005. Impact Factor: 2.37; Citation.
- T. Barrett and E. P. Joseph. Extreme alteration in an acid-sulphate geothermal field: Sulphur Springs, Saint Lucia. Journal of Chemical Geology (2018), Vol. 500, pp. 103-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2018.09.028. Impact Factor: 3.57; 2 Citation
- Mayer, K., Scheu, B., Yilmaz, T., Montanaro, C., Gilg, H.A.., Rott, S., Joseph, E.P., and Dingwell, D.B. Phreatic activity and hydrothermal alteration in the Valley of Desolation, Dominica, Lesser Antilles. Bulletin of Volcanology (2017) 79: 82. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00445-017-1166-0.
- Erouscilla P. Joseph, Denise M. Beckles, Leonette Cox, Viveka B. Jackson, and Dominic Alexander. An evaluation of ambient sulphur dioxide concentrations from passive degassing of the Sulphur Springs, Saint Lucia geothermal system: Implications for human health. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 304 (2015), pp. 38 – 48; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2015.07.036
- Joseph, E.P., Fournier, N., Lindsay, J.M., Robertson, R., and Beckles, D.M. 2013. Chemical and isotopic characteristics of geothermal fluids from Sulphur Springs, Saint Lucia. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 254, 15th March 2013, pp. 23 – 36; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2012.12.013
- Joseph, E.P., Fournier, N., Lindsay, J.M., and Fischer, T.P. 2011. Gas and water geochemistry of geothermal systems in Dominica, Lesser Antilles island arc. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 206, 1-2, 1st September 2011, pp. 1 – 14; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.volgeores.2011.06.007.
- Rouwet, D., Hidalgo, S., Joseph, E.P., González-Ilama, G. Fluid Geochemistry and Volcanic Unrest: Dissolving the Haze in Time and Space. July 2017. Book Chapter 12, In: Advances in Volcanology; ed. K. Nemeth. Springer Nature. Series ID 11157. doi: 10.1007/11157_2017_12
- Frey, M. Manon, T. Christopher, and E. Joseph. 2022. Degassing and crystallization during magma ascent in the initial explosive phases of the 2021 eruption of La Soufriere, St. Vincent. Goldschmidt 2022, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA. July 10 – 15, 2022. Oral Presentation.
- Erouscilla P. Joseph, Michelle V. Forbes, Stacey Edwards, and Elizabeth Riley. Management of the crisis response to the 2020 – 2021 eruption of La Soufrière volcano, St. Vincent. Cities on Volcanoes 11, 13-17 June 2022, Heraklion, Greece. Oral Presentation.
- Lara Mani, Stacey Edwards, Alia Juman, Thalia Thomas and Erouscilla Joseph. Lessons from the 2020-2021 eruption of La Soufriere St. Vincent on ‘what works’ for volcanic crisis communications. Cities on Volcanoes 11, Heraklion, Crete, Greece, 12-17 2022. Oral Presentation.
- Lara Mani, Stacey Edwards, Alia Juman, Thalia Thomas and Erouscilla Joseph. Evaluating the crisis communications campaign during the 2020-2021 eruption of La Soufriere, St Vincent. The EGU General Assembly 23-27 May 2022, Vienna, Austria. Geophysical Research Abstracts, Session EOS1.7. Oral Presentation.
- Erouscilla Joseph. 2022. OVSM-IPGP-PREST Scientific Meeting “Volcanism and Seismicity of the Antilles”, May 13 – 19, 2022 in Saint-Pierre, Martinique. Public lecture: The Saint-Vincent Soufrière eruption (2020-2021): Chronology, impacts and lessons for the prevention of volcanic risks in the Antilles. Oral Presentation
- Erouscilla Joseph. 2022. Management, Monitoring & Impact of the 2021-21 La Soufrière, St. Vincent eruption. 12 April 2022. University of Puerto Rico – Mayaguez Campus (Webinar).
- Erouscilla Joseph. 2022. Management, Monitoring & Impact of the 2021-21 La Soufrière, St. Vincent eruption. 10 March 2022. Columbia University. Webinar.
- Horwell, C.J., Damby, D.E, Stewart, C., Barclay, J., Baxter, P.J., Davies, B.V, Joseph, E.P, Mangler, M., Marvin, L., Najorka, J., Peek, S., Tunstall, N. Respiratory health hazard assessment of volcanic ash (and associated dome rock) from the 2020-2021 eruption of La Soufrière, St Vincent. Annual Aerosol Science Conference 2022: 4 – 5 November, 2021. Bristol. UK. Poster Presentation.
- Frey, Christopher, Manon, Walters, Wright, Levins and Joseph. 2021 explosive eruption at La Soufriere, St. Vincent: constraints on eruptions triggers from monitoring and petrology. Geological Society of America (GSA) 2021, Portland, Oregon, USA. October 10 – 13, 2021. Oral Presentation.
- Erouscilla Joseph, Holli M. Frey and Matthew R. Manon. Recent temporal changes in geochemistry of hydrothermal fluids of Dominica, Lesser Antilles . Volatiles in the Lesser Antilles (VoiLA) Workshop, 23-27 September 2019, UWI, St. Augustine.
- Thomas E Christopher, Severine Mourne, Giancarlo Tamburello, Magali Bonifacie, Vincent Robert, Erouscilla P Joseph, Swetha Venugopal, Tivonne Howe, Oswen Carty. Plume chemistry for eight Lesser Antilles volcanoes obtained during the 2018-2019 Multi-Gas campaign. Volatiles in the Lesser Antilles (VoiLA) Workshop, 23-27 September 2019, UWI, St. Augustine.
- M. Bonifacie, G. Bardoux, V. Robert, R. Moretti, S. Moune, P. Agrinier, C. Dessert, J.C. Komorowski, Y. Legendre, E. Joseph, T. Christopher. Chlorine isotopic composition of thermal springs along the Lesser Antilles arc and fumaroles from La Soufrière de Guadeloupe. Volatiles in the Lesser Antilles (VoiLA) Workshop, 23-27 September 2019, UWI, St. Augustine.
- Erouscilla Joseph, Danielle Charlton, Lara Smale, Stephen Hailes, Christopher Kilburn, Reni Magbagbeola and Carlisle Williams. The use of affordable technology to mitigate community concerns of volcanic emissions. Cities on Volcanoes 10, 2-7 September 2018, Naples, Italy.
- Joseph, Erouscilla; Beckles, Denise; Cox, Leonette; Hailes, Stephen; Kilburn, Christopher; Jackson, Viveka; and Lara Smale. Volcano Tourism in St. Lucia and Dominica: Combining Science and Community. 1st Biospheres International Conference, Université des Antilles-Martinique, 18 – 20 June, 2019.
- L. Cox; E.P. Joseph; I. Jagassar; and D.M. Beckles. Demonstrating the Impact of Community-Based Participatory Research Approaches from Process to Outcomes. Biennial Regional Conference and Expo (BRCCE) 2019, UWI St. Augustine, Trinidad; 22-24 May 2019.
- Lara Smale, Reni Magbagbeola, Stephen Hailes, Christopher Kilburn, Erouscilla Joseph, and Carlisle Williams. Affordable technology to monitor degassing at remote volcanoes. The EGU General Assembly 8-13 April 2018, Vienna, Austria. Geophysical Research Abstracts Vol. 20, EGU2018-7098.
- Bettina Scheu, Stefanie Rott, Klaus Mayer, Erouscilla P. Joseph, Tim I. Yilmaz, H. Albert Gilg, and Donald B. Dingwell. Hydrothermal activity and related hazards at Dominica: the role of alteration on the propensity of hydrothermal eruptions. Geophysical Research Abstracts Vol. 20, EGU2018-19224; EGU General Assembly 8-13 April 2018.
- Erouscilla P. Joseph and Timothy Barrett. Hydrothermal alteration in an acidic geothermal field: Sulphur Springs, St. Lucia. AGU Fall Meeting, 11-15 December 2017, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Jacqueline Buskop, Erouscilla P. Joseph, Salvatore Inguaggiato, Johan Varekamp, and Timothy Ku. Insights on the origin of volatiles from the geochemical investigation of hydrothermal gas discharges from Dominica, Lesser Antilles. AGU Fall Meeting, 11-15 December 2017, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Mazi Onyeali, Erouscilla P. Joseph, Holli M. Frey. Investigating Volcanic-Hydrothermal Systems in Dominica, Lesser Antilles: Temporal Changes in the Chemical Composition of Hydrothermal Fluids for Volcanic Monitoring Using Geothermometers. AGU Fall Meeting, 11-15 December 2017, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Clarissa Smith, Holli Frey, Erouscilla P. Joseph and Matt Manon. Investigation of Mineral Alteration from Three Different Volcano Hydrothermal Systems on Dominica, Lesser Antilles. AGU Fall Meeting, 11-15 December 2017, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Dexter Kopas, Holli Frey, and Erouscilla P. Joseph. An investigation of the geochemistry of major streams in Dominica, Lesser Antilles: 2014 – 2017. AGU Fall Meeting, 11-15 December 2017, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Erouscilla Joseph, Denise M. Beckles, Viveka Jackson, Leonette Cox, and Stacey Edwards. Community-Based Volcano Monitoring Approach at Sulphur Springs, Saint Lucia: A Lesson in Good Stakeholder Engagement. IAVCEI General Assembly, 14 – 18 August 2017: Portland, Oregon, USA.
- Stefanie Rott, Bettina Scheu, Klaus Mayer, Tim I. Yilmaz, H. Albert Gilg, Erouscilla P. Joseph, Donald B. Dingwell. Phreatic activity, hydrothermal alteration and related hazards at Boiling Lake and the Valley of Desolation, Dominica. IAVCEI General Assembly, 14 – 18 August 2017: Portland, Oregon, USA.
- Bonifacie M, Bardoux G, Robert V, Dessert C, Moune S, Agrinier & Joseph E P (2017) Goldschmidt Abstracts, 2017 389. Paris, France. August 13 – 18, 2017.
- D Robertson, E Joseph, N Fournier; When Regional becomes Local: Linking Regional Seismicity to Perturbations at the Boiling Lake, Dominica. AGU Fall Meeting, 14-18 December 2015, San Francisco, California.
- Erouscilla Joseph, Denise M. Beckles, Leonette Cox, Viveka Jackson, and Dominic Alexander. A Collaborative Approach to Monitoring Ambient Volcanogenic Pollution at Sulphur Springs, Saint Lucia. AGU Fall Meeting, 14-18 December 2015, San Francisco, California.
- Viveka Jackson , Erouscilla Joseph , Denise M. Beckles, Thomas E Christopher; Development, testing, and application of a low-cost technology sulphur dioxide monitor as a tool for use in a volcanic emissions monitoring network: 20th Caribbean Geological Conference, 17 – 22 May 2015, Hyatt Regency Hotel, Port-of -Spain, Trinidad.
- Thomas E Christopher, Erouscilla Joseph, Viveka Jackson; A preliminary investigation of volcanic CO2 and H2O at Sulphur Springs St Lucia, using a multi-component gas analyzer system (Multi-GAS): 20th Caribbean Geological Conference, 17th – 22nd May 2015, Hyatt Regency Hotel, Port-of -Spain, Trinidad.
- D Robertson, E Joseph, N Fournier, F Witham; Gas-liquid interactions in natural geothermal conduits: Implications for artificial gas-lift applications: 20th Caribbean Geological Conference, 17th – 22nd May 2015, Hyatt Regency Hotel, Port-of -Spain, Trinidad.
- E. Joseph, R. Robertson, R. Stewart – 2020/12/29 – 2021/07/31 La Soufrière volcano, St. Vincent Scientific Advisories 202011_SVG_04 – 202111_SVG_117.
- IVHHN Briefing note on interpreting volcanic gas measurements. Tamar Elias (US Geological Survey), Claire J. Horwell (Durham University, UK). Reviewed by Erouscilla Joseph (UWI SRC), Victoria Miller (Montserrat Volcano Observatory), Sally Edwards (PAHO), Carol Stewart (Massey University, NZ), and Evgenia Ilyinskaya (University of Leeds, UK). Version 1.5. https://www.ivhhn.org/uploads/IVHHN_briefing_note_interpreting_gas_measurements_FINAL.pdf