EARTHQUAKE SAFETY CHECKLIST
- Build your home in accordance with
the recommended building codes. See your local disaster management office details.
- Bolt heavy furniture, water tanks,
water heaters, gas cylinders and storage units to walls or floors.
- Place largest and heaviest items
on lower shelves.
- Emergency items and equipment such
as canned foods, water, medication, flashlights, battery-operated radios, fire extinguishers
and a first aid kit should be readily available and working properly.
- All family members should know how
to use this emergency equipment and should know how to turn off electricity, gas
and water using safety valves and main switches.
- All family members should know what
to do during an earthquake and should practice these safety tips through regular